Saturday, March 24, 2012

lindo demais

Last week I went on a field trip to Salvador with my class from school. Field trips are really uncommon here during high school so everyone was telling me how lucky I was. We took two buses, one for each class, to our destination. The buses were not like school buses, but like tour buses with comfortable seats, personal lights, and a bathroom.

The beginning of our trip involved a lot of picture taking, screaming, switching seats, and singing and dancing in the aisle. This to me was very strange. Yes buses full of high school kids normally are pretty loud and crazy, but standing, let alone dancing, while the bus is moving is definitely not allowed. Once again another example of how different the rules of the road are here. More dangerous!

When we arrived in Salvador we walked for about 5 minutes to the church we were there to see. Salvador is the capital of Bahia and the first capital of Brazil so it is filled with a lot of history. I've seen a lot of pictures beforehand of the pelourinho, which is the center of the city, but photos don't do justice to how absolutely beautiful it is. I'm not kidding, it took my breath away. Anyone who was standing near me I'm sure heard me say, "Ahhhh que lindoooo!" a million times.

Sadly I stole this photo off google because I'm still waiting for the cable for my camera. It's very sad because I have a ton of great photos to upload!








The church was also very, very beautiful. Gold is covering just about every inch of the walls, it's gorgeous.















My host mom is going to take me again in a couple of weeks to see more of the city and I'm really excited.
I really, really want to travel while I'm here. Seeing Salvador makes me want see more of what Brazil has to offer. Hopefully I will have the opportunity to do so!

No comments:

Post a Comment