Tuesday, March 6, 2012

blast from 3 weeks ago

Today I became a legal resident of Brazil. I have registered with the Federal Police and don't have to worry about it again until August. I was finger printed for the first time in my life (I think). It is great to finally have that done and over with since it was pretty stressful and difficult getting the paperwork together and finding time to make it to the airport where it's located.

This is the same airport where I met my host family for the first time and started my new life. It was so strange to see the spot where it all happened. That whole day was so surreal and feels so far in the past.

I remember exactly how I felt standing at the baggage claim. I remember exactly what it was like to walk through those double doors and into the huge crowd of people and think "oh my god" ... and yet, it kind of feels like a dream.

I'm not a tourist. I'm a temporary resident. This is my life now. If my time here was already up, I would be so angry, disappointed, and sad for so many reasons. I've had an amazing time so far, but I know there are still SO many new things I have yet to experience here. I haven't seen enough of the country, the people, or the culture. I haven't learned the language. I haven't changed. And therefore, I'm not ready, and glad I don't have to be.

I remember when I was younger and I used to think that a year was such a long time. Now, it's not long at all. Years fly by in Alaska. Here, they will go even faster.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool Jen, I liked this post a lot.

    -Justin (brother)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like the post it is great

    ReplyDelete